BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, June 5, 2009

Reflection about Model U.N.


My first experience at a Model U.N. conference came with absolutely no experience. My global and economics teacher advised me to take part of this experience because they thought I had the perseverance to overcome adversity and rise up to become an outstanding Model U.N. delegate (they were a student short and asked me to fill up the spot). I didn’t become one, and I was bummed about it; but, I gain a new personal hobby and a life changing experience.
I remember I was partnered up with Nadira, a girl from my class who also didn’t have experience. Though she didn’t have experience, she did have an open personality. Meaning that she isn’t afraid to say what she feels; with a little push of course. We were representing Liechtenstein, a western European country who’s famous for conducting tax havens. For the time, that’s pretty much all we knew and still to this day that’s still pretty much all I know. Throughout the train ride to the hotel in which I was participating at this conference I kept pondering how in the world will I debate on the rights of indigenous people? Next thing I know me and Nadira were left alone in a humongous room fluttered with intellectuals who by far knew what they were doing compared to us. Ms. Pollio told us to at least try to speak once and she’ll be proud of us. We spoke at least 5 times, and were signatories to a resolution that passed. When I was called up to speak I was so nervous and apprehensive. As I walked up to the front to speak I just kept thinking about how mad I was at Nadira for raising our placard and adding ourselves to the speakers list. Honestly, I don’t remember exactly what I said but I’m sure it was a bunch of gibberish. Mostly, about how we’re a rich country who are willing to pay for any resolution.
The memory that stands out the most at this conference was the memory I had with the people I was sitting next to. I remember that they were three Italian boys and a girl actually from Italy. Those three boys constantly kept going to the back of the room to get water. One time they invited me with them and I went to the back and drank a cup of water. Next thing I know one of them said to me “So what you think about the girl in the yellow?” I laughed and nodded my head. I was flabbergasted but amazed at how two different people from two different cultures could have many things in common. I responded “yeah she’s cute” and a friendship was made amongst us. We talked about our lives, culture, hobbies, etc. I learned from them, as they learned from me. But what was most symbolic about this memory was that I as a person grew because I now have the ability and knowledge to communicate and start friendships with people whom live a different life than me.
This all happened during my freshman year of High School. By sophomore year I wasn’t really sure if I wanted to participate in this invent. I guess over the summer the inspirational feelings I had for Model U.N. sort of went away. Also, I wanted to try new things around the school and was caught up in many other activities. Then, one of my best friends Jose Asiatico influenced me to join the class for the second semester. With limited time I was told to work with Manuela Martinez on freedom of speech and reintegration of refugees. The conference was nearly two weeks away and I needed to research everything possible about this topic related to Pakistan. On the day of the conference I was so excited because we were going to Philadelphia to sleep over for a weekend! I was ready to show off everything I learned. Such as, writing a resolution, showing diplomacy when I speak, and actively being involved by motioning or pointing for something. During conference session one my mindset was to come in be aggressive and let my point of view be heard and understood. Quiet didn’t happen like that. But my partner and I spoke a couple of times. What I loved about my partner was that she was determined just like me; we ended up spending that night researching more and adjusting our game plan for the next session. Of course it was only up until curfew (12 o’clock). The next day we quickly sent a note to the chair telling them to add us to the speakers list. When we went up to speak we told the delegates that Pakistan would like to see a resolution in which freedom of speech is limited so that people won’t be able to show the blasphemous caricatures of the prophet Muhammad through the media.
My favorite and most epic moment ever in Model U.N came at the next session. It was pretty clear that Argentina and Indonesia were doing the best, so my bloc decided to go get some research on Argentina and we find out that they had genocide during the 60’s. Argentina was advocating that we have freedom of speech without any restrictions but during this time they imposed a domestic law of media censorship and their was no freedom of speech. It was a pretty dirty move on the count that every country has some dirty laundry hidden throughout history. After transitioning from an unmoderated caucus to a moderated caucus my time came. I would always write what I wanted to say briefly on paper so that I get out all my points and know what to say in my limited time. I don’t know what got to me but for those 10 minutes I felt like if I were actually from Pakistan. I stood and said that most of the world in particular the Western side of the World doesn’t understand our culture. I forgot exactly what I said but I just went off on a joke spree pointed directly towards Argentina and I had the whole committee laughing for 10 minutes. Though what I was saying was funny, it was still true and accurate and allowed what Pakistan wanted to see in a resolution for freedom of speech be put it. I had fun that night and I got respected.
Also, another funny memory I had in this country was the male delegate of the country Indonesia. He was talking with this bootleg cowboy-Texas accent that sounded like he had like a gallon of saliva in his mouth. It made an irritating gargling sound accommodated with the accent he made. I constantly laughed every time he spoke. I remember telling all my friends about how weird this guy was. The irony about it was that on the last conference he spoke and his accent was completely gone! He had fooled us all; I was shocked. I was motivated to do this at my next conference in the U.N. but unfortunately I wasn’t able to attend because I was going to my sister’s graduation up in Buffalo.
Overall, Model U.N. has been a fun experience that will stay with me forever. I sometimes still say point of personal inquiry when I want to ask or comment something. I will always remember those wonderful people I met. One whom includes the U.N general secretary Ban Ki-Moon.

0 comments: